These 13 easy steps and take home messages were compiled from a public forum that was held by Dr. Tytus and Dr. Curnew earlier this week.
#1 Start a Journal.
- Record daily entries. If possible an entry at each meal and snack intake.
#2 Eat Small Meals Frequently.
- Every 2-3hours if possible.
#3 Buy a Pedometer/ Take the stairs when possible.
- Record average steps per day… helps personally motivate for better performance
- Park further away from door entry or destination
- Walk rather than drive when possible.
#4 Eat Breakfast every day!
- Within an hour of waking.
#5 Eat oatmeal -large whole flakes. Not instant.
- Add Flax seed and blueberries as an option.
#6 Decrease refined sugars and starchy Carbs
- Decrease simple sugars except fruit and decrease portions of complex carbohydrates EXCEPT veggies
#7 Increase Vegetable intake.
- Veggies are a complex carb that portion size needs to be increased!
- Fruits – 2 servings a day, you do not need more when attempting to lose weight
#8 Cut out the Juice!
- Avoid drinking excess calories. Eat an apple and drink water!
#9 Eat FISH at least 3x a week.
- Try to follow the Mediterranean diet and eat fish 3-5x a week if possible.
#10 HALT THE SALT!
- Read labels
- Decrease the amount of processed foods including soups.
- Beware of all soups in a can or package. Make your own!
- Limit fast foods and restaurant meals.
- Limit condiments.
Health Canada and Heart and Stroke Foundation recommend:
Age 19- 49 -1500mg.
Age 50-70 1300.
Age 71+ 1200
#11 NO artificial sweeteners.
They increase your appetite!
- It has been proven that people who use Diet products or artificial sweeteners will eat more and consume more calories.
- Do not use Sweet & Low or Splenda
- Train palate to take coffee or tea with NO sugar.
- If using sugar or honey limit to a very small amount a drop- to half teaspoon.
#12 Moderate EXERCISE at least 30 min a day 5-7 days per week.
- Moderate exercise if you can tolerate if not start with light exercise even chair exercises can help expend calories.
- Resistance training will give the best results.
#13 Do it for yourself and loved ones!
- Motivate others- find a healthy lifestyle/Exercise buddy
- Start or join a walking group. Committing to someone else helps you stay motivated and stick to it.
Follow the above tips on a daily basis and it will not be luck, you WILL lose inches and most importantly see a decrease in abdominal fat.
Happy and Healthy Lifestyle to all!!